Friday, December 28, 2012

Ann Curry Leaving The Today Show Has Changed The Show

So anyone who knows me knows I love Ann Curry and I also at one point loved the Today Show. I had a morning routine. I would get up, go for a walk, have a cup of coffee, and watch the Today Show before I went to work. I always enjoyed the stories and the people reporting the stories. Ann Curry was my favorite because I felt she was the most genuine. You could really feel the compassion from Ann when she was reporting.  She is passionate about what she does and you can see that she cares in her eyes. When I caught wind of her leaving the Today Show right away I thought it was a TERRIBLE move. There is NO ONE on that show who can bring to the table what she brings by her just being who she naturally is.

Of course the rumors I had read were true and she was leaving The Today Show I remember her last day and the tears in her eyes. You could tell she was heart broken to have to stop doing what she loves.  More importantly I remember Matt Lauer and his overall demeanor towards her. I lost pretty much all respect for Matt Lauer that day. I had read rumors about why Ann Curry was being fired and a lot of the rumors said it was pretty much Matt Lauer's doing. It was his demeanor towards her and her genuine sadness that leads me to believe those rumors are true.  Then The Today Show has the audacity to replace the amazing Ann with Savannah Guthrie and no disrespect to her as she was good at her prior role and I know she is trying but she is NO Ann Curry and the show absolutely has not been the same since.  I know I am not the only one who feels this way. NBC I am sure has seen the drop in viewership since that debacle.  Has anyone felt the same sense of compassion on stories since Ann has left that show?

Fast forward to today and the only segment on the show I want to see is Kathie Lee and Hoda. Sad when I used to enjoy hours of the show. I recently read that Matt Lauer gets picked on and called names and he doesn't like it. While I am not condoning that type of  behavior from people towards him I don't think he realized how his actions affected other people. If I was a part of a news team I would want to have the best news team. I would want the best people possible around me so that we collectively as a whole could be the best. For whatever reasons he didn't really care about that or how his actions affected  a wonderful person like Ann.  Even still I say let's follow Ann's lead and be compassionate. Let's not call him names or pick on him. Trust me NBC has already had massive backlash from these shenanigans and they know they messed up.

The bottom line is Ann Curry leaving the Today Show has changed the show completely. It is not the same show  and doesn't have the same feel. I hope NBC has better judgment going forward. If Ann went to a different network I would be watching that network.

No comments:

Post a Comment